Sunday, May 6, 2007

First Dig

Today, I got my hands dirty. :)

One of the two Astilbe's


















The Chives. no stoppin' 'em.... ;)




















The holding bed for sun plants: the soil is rich but not very deep (before hitting a stoney layer). Not so much ammending as adding. :) This will have to be expanded, by tomorrow this small semi-circle will be full of the plants being held in the two soon-to-be rose beds at the base of the front porch.


















Hannah's 'cozy cottage' is moving out :(

The hops are hopping all over that fence, lilac grows up, Virginia Creepers creeps down.



















Below is our holding bed for shade plants. I started edging the shade bed today (the soil there has little growing there, other than moss - and will need a bit of ammending to aerate the soil. I will have to build it up quite a bit too (there's a lot of root competition). There is still a lot to dig up, but I am really happy with the progress we made today in making better temporary homes for what survived the move.



















In the shade holding bed are a couple handfuls of hostas. Um, I'm sorry - I'm a shameful gardener...they spent the winter in the two buckets. They survived, which I can only credit to the massive root balls we dug them up and moved them in (almost undisturbed) - but I fear they might have only survived to find out who did that to them, in some Audrey IIesque sort of way.
I don't have the slightest clue as to which hosta is which so this year is now The Year of the Dirt and Name that Hosta Year.

Sedum 'Autumn Fire', east fence.


No comments: