Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Boulevard's White Pine

Boulevard Lake's White Pine, 20 May 2011
It's a real shame to lose a tree that has grown in this city longer than any living person. I can't understand what motive the vandals could have had - other than senseless destruction and vandalism - for cutting it down. Why that tree?
Many residents have been writing to the local papers with both outrage over the act and sentiment for the tree. I can't say I have a personal emotional attachment to that particular tree - no more than any other tree in the city; but my love and appreciation for old trees runs deep. Standing there for more than 100 years, that White Pine was witness to the development of Thunder Bay. It's just not something that can be replaced in our lifetime. That makes me terribly sad.

No comments:

| More