Sunday, February 17, 2008

"I hold you here, root and all, in my hand,

Little flower - but if I could understand
What you are, root and all, and all in all,
I should know what God and man is."
- Tennyson

Aching for my garden lately,
I miss this space. sigh

The picture is deceiving, there are actually two chairs, comfortably snug in a lush nook of balloon flowers, pumpkin plants, bergenia, those pretty peach day lilies, phlox, and herbs. Tucked behind the apple tree, it was my secluded room with a view. Aaah, and where little green bottles grew!

I have to be grateful for this journal; what an asset it is for planning the move.

PLANTS BEING MOVED:
roses
John Davis
Morden Fireglow
Morden Blush
Winnipeg Parks
Morden Sunrise
J.P. Connell
George Vancouver
shrubs
blue spruce (Picea pungens 'Globosa') x 2
Weigela 'Red Prince'
Hydrangea 'Annabelle'
Elder Sambucus racemosa 'Sutherland Gold'
day lilies
Double River Wye
Raspberry Parfait
little peach one in front
Fairytale
Strawberry Swirl
other little peach one
random perennials
spiderwort Tradescantia 'Caerulea Plena'
Thymus praecox 'Nutmeg Thyme'
Viola labradorica 'Purple Labrador Violet'
Phlox subulata 'creeping phlox' (Emerald Blue)
lungwort x 3
goat's beard
adjuga
bergenia pig squeak
Stachys byzantina 'Lamb's Ears'
Heuchera micrantha (Coral Bells) 'Purple Palace'
Echinacea ' Big Sky Sunrise'
Hosta 'Tokudama Flavocircinalis'
Hosta 'Paradigm'
hostas x 3 more unidentified
fern
astilbe x 2
irises
chives
sedum(s)
lavender
that pink peony by the shed
sunflower
thank goodness I didn't plant much last year

Incidently, as I write this I'm listening to In the Key of Charles on CBC Radio 2. His theme this morning is ANGELS. All angelic playlist: good angels, dark angels, evil angels, and more good angels. Fantastic!

I will need at least twelve very large pots, sixteen to twenty 24-26" pots and another dozen or more 16-20"ers. I'm doubting very much that I would be able to transplant directly on May1st, so I think it'll be less worrisome to plan for the pots; keeping in mind that the plants may spend a considerable period of time in their pots. If I'm lucky enough to be able to transplant a few things directly, it would be a relief at the time - but it's just not something I can realistically count on.
I'm sure I can borrow some temporary pots from the greenhouse while I collect great pots like these pictured, work for dirt *er* soil, and I'm starting to dream up ways of training John Davis in a pot with a trellis - which I think will be beautiful. :)


  • The sixth day of February is the feast of St. Dorothy of Italy, who survived being thrown into boiling animal fat, but who was beheaded in ca. 313 CE. She returned to earth as an angel child, bringing three apples and three roses from the garden of paradise to the lawyer and cynic Theophilus, who had mocked her on her way to death. He was astonished at the sight and was instantly converted by the miracle. Theophilus was himself later beheaded, cut up into little pieces, and fed to the birds. Saint Dorothy is depicted with apples, either in her hand or in a basket, and with roses.
Ward, Bobby J.. "A Contemplation Upon Flowers: Garden Plants in Myth and Literature." Saints of the Spade. Timber Press, Oregon. 1999.


No comments:

| More