Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Amy's Garden, update June 26

Not all in the first sketch have been planted yet (or in some cases found & bought yet, like raspberry canes and a rhubarb for behind the shed). I'd like to think of this as a reasonable (rough) plan for the coming months. Most of these are here, some planted - along with a flash mob of sweet peas that I planted and left in the warm porch (they need to be planted, and will be along the back fence). There will be other perennials - a lady's mantle near the spruce for instance, and the rudbeckia isn't sketched in, nor is the veronica, a snowmound spirea will be planted but I don't know where. I'm just drawin'.





















Structurally, I have projects like a compost bin that I'd like to complete sooner than later, one that I've designed myself of wood planks and heavy mesh; the location for which has been designated in an awkward area between the shed and the location for the small greenhouse, the ramp into the shed, and the westward neighbors fence. It's out of the way but accessible, perfect.






















The maximilian sunflower (Given to me by a greenhouse customer who had once come into the gh hoping for some "gardening advice" but took one took at me, wrongly assumed my youthful appearance equaled youthful naivety, and *almost* insulted me with his questions until he realized I knew what I was talking about, gave me credit for that, and took my advice. He returned a week or so later with a big pot of the sunflower, which he had devided from the one growing in his yard. He gave it to me to apologize for judging me, and to thank me for our conversation.) is growing happily from behind the compost, between the shed and the fence. I wasn't worried about it surviving (it's far too hardy to have much trouble), but I have to say that I'm happy to see it again, always warmed by what it represents.

I did some amending and planting last night. The Annabell Hydrangea is finally in it's place, along with a Hosta 'High Society', an Astilbe: Thunbergii (False Spirea) 'Straussenfeder' surrounded by two Pulmonaria (Boraginaceae) (Lungwort). Closer to the space between where the neighbors draping Lilac/Virginia Creeper meet the crawling Hops, near the Southern Elder, I planted an Aruncus Dioicus (Goat's Beard); between the two I hope to plant a Solomon's Seal (don't have it yet tho).

Amended and planted the tomatoes (my Grape and Hannah's mystery-school-trip-tomato-plant). I also planted Hannah's strawberry plant in a good area near the garden egde (so that she can reach the berries easily) - I have to go find a wire cage to keep is safe from nastysquirrels as soon as possible, or we'll miss out! Between all this and along the garden border, as usual, cucumbers will curl and twist. I loved how they appeared everywhere through my garden last year, climbing the strawberry cage, and weaving through the peas all the way to the path and beyond - perhaps it was unruly behavior (for a cucumber), but it was funny to me, and the yeild was fantastic ;).

On Saturday, working at the main greenhouse rather than at the 55+ Centre, I was climbing tables, playing with perennials, listened to schmultzy easy listening until I felt like mush inside, and topped the day off with wine with Sue & Dennis under the bubble. It was the greenhouse at it's best (as far as my enjoyment with it this season) - I realy enjoyed being at the main greenhouse, and was sad to have passed the season without it. So, I made the most of it. It was busy. I was busy. I feel great.

John Davis is blooming on the East side of the front steps. He's a little gangly, a side effect from the move for sure - I'll have to prune him well. For now though, I don't want to disturb him, or any of the other roses until they've had a longer time to get comfortable. Poor Morden Fireglow is blooming in his pot right now because I've not found the time to plant that bed yet. It's easier to imagine the shrubs in bloom now, more full - next year; I look forward to it.

Tomorrow his Hannah's last day of 3rd grade. She'll be bringing pumpkin plants to all the children in her class. I hope the parents don't mind. Tomatoes and flowers are one thing - a vine that will take over a good portion of a yard is another. Ah well, it'll be fun for the moment. I brought a couple plants for Cooper, my neighbor - aged 3, who likes to ask me lots of questions over the fence while I dig and photograph my yard take meeeee! take pictuuure of mee tooo! take meeee! he yells over the fence, along with what are you doing? what are you doing now? what are you doing? what are you doing now? what are you doing? which is said so utterly adorably, no blogged words could do him justice.

Last night, my dirty digging self was compared to a dirty digging Cooper (shortly before his bath) by his visiting uncle. Some might cringe at the thought, but I love being covered in earth: my hands feeling soil all around them crumbling, fingers like earthworms my feet bare and black with earth that soils the floor and the bathtub my bare legs exfloliated by the texture - who wouldn't love that? I was really dirty last night. The soil is loamy, but cool and damp.

My paper on urban forestry has led me back to The Lorax by Dr. Suess. grin.

It's past my bedtime. Goudanight, sleep tight, don't let the space bugs bite.

No comments:

| More